Powered By Blogger

A LITTLE ABOUT ME ---

Quick, easy, and cheap! Those are the things I like best! A mother of three, grandmother of two and living on a budget for one. My philosophy? If it has more than two or three ingredients -- forget it! If I have to spend hours searching in specialty stores -- forget it! I have had Christmas trees decorated with nothing but pipe cleaners, construction paper, glitter and flour ornaments and they were beautiful! I have planned and completely orchestrated a wedding in less than three weeks including finding the venue, dresses, tuxes, making flowers, decorations, invitations, food, drinks, minister, pictures and music! All under $2,500.00 and it was BEAUTIFUL! I have lived my entire life on a budget but never more than now -- so while it feels good to splurge every once in awhile, most of us can't do that very often in today's economy. So if you're looking for glitz, glamour and extravagance -- this blog is not for you. On the other hand, if you enjoy being frugal, love a challenge, and love to see the balance in that savings account rise, you are in the right place. Not ALL of the things you will find here are made with just a few ingredients. The Lye Soap recipe is definitely nothing a beginning DIY'R might want to try. I myself have yet to brave this one but it IS in my very near future as I have been buying and using it for years. Hopefully you will take something with you after viewing this blog be it a DIY project or a recipe, so long as it makes your day easier and your pockets heavier. I love to share things and hopefully you feel free to share anything you see here. But remember I would like just a little credit so please link back, hit like, comment, and/or share, share, share away. I have only just begun so yes, my blog is light on content but I am adding to it as I get time so please come back and visit!

Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Home Made Laundry Soap


EASY to make and works great! 
You should be able to find all of these items at your grocery store. 
This detergent is clean smelling, not over powering. 


INGREDIENTS:
1- 4 lb 12 oz box Borax (2.15 kg or 76 oz) found in the detergent isle 

1- 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (1.81 kg) found in the cooking or detergent isle 

1 - box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 55 oz (3 lb 7 oz) found in the detergent isle 

3 bars of Fels-naptha soap, found in the detergent isle 
   (you can also use pink Zote soap instead of Fels-naptha) 

2 containers of oxyclean or store brand oxyclean - try to get about 3.5 lbs total (1.58 kg) found in the detergent isle -- this is optional but the cleaner the better! 

1 container Purex crystals -- this is optional also. I added these because I LOVE the fragrance.

MIXING DIRECTIONS:
Start out by grating your Fels-naptha soap just like cheese. 
You can use a food processor or just use your hand held grater, what ever you have. 
**The Fels-naptha will dissolve in your washer even if you only use cold water** 
Toss all ingredients in a 5 gallon bucket lined with a garbage bag. 
This part makes your whole house smell great!
Once everything is mixed store soap however you like. 


Finished Product

DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
USE 1 TBLSP. PER LOAD -- YES, REALLY! 
Okay, maybe two for the REALLY dirty stuff.

NOTES:
I use Sun Oxygen. A 6 lb. container was $3.00 cheaper than a 3 lb. container of Oxyclean.
I use Purex Complete, Fresh Spring Water laundry enhancer crystals. They come in 3 scents.
I didn't have much luck with the 5 gallon bucket so I used two large containers and transferred the ingredients back and forth several times.  For me this was easier.  Maybe I wasn't using a heavy enough bag.  Below is a picture of my storage container. I use two of these to mix in.
I want to thank http://beingcreativetokeepmysanity.blogspot.com/ 
for this WONDERFUL homemade laundry soap recipe!   
This batch will last me 6-8 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment